Are you looking for ways to keep craft time with your children simple and fun? If so, these ten tips for stress-free crafting with children are just what you need!
1. Let your kids choose the craft! PINTEREST is a great resource and kids love browsing there too. Once you’ve found a craft they want to make, make a list of all the supplies you will need to make it.
2. Keep a craft cupboard with the essentials. THESE are the essential items we suggest. If you do not have everything on hand, add the supplies you need to your shopping list so you will not forget them.
3. Put a plastic table cloth or recycled paper down where you will be crafting. I personally love covering our workspace with paper.
4. Have all supplies laid out before you announce craft time to your kids. Or better yet, practice the art of strewing. Strategically leave out craft supplies and wait for your kids to use them in their own time. You’ll find that this extends crafting time substantially.
5. Use non-toxic paints, glues, etc. For younger children you could experiment with making paint from food. If you have a child (like mine) that puts everything in their mouth this will make the experience far less stressful.
6. Have wet wipes and paper towels handy for spills. Or on warm days have a bucket of soapy water outside for easy clean-up that usually ends up in outdoor play.
7. Always try to have extra supplies in case something is lost or torn, etc. This is an essential part of keeping a well stocked craft cupboard.
8. Let them wear old clothes so you will not be stressed out over ruining what they are wearing. Or on warm days let them work in the sun in their underwear. It’s a great way to get in some extra vitamin d at the same time.
9.Show the kids how to do the craft but let them do it in their own way. If you insist on it being perfect then you might as well do the craft yourself and forget about having craft time with the kids. It also makes the children think that everything has to be perfect and that their best is not good enough. Sometimes little hands need help but you know you have gone too far when you are the only one left at the craft table.
10.Have fun! Don’t worry about a little paint on their hands & faces, take pictures instead.
I hope you will try these suggestions for a stress free craft time with your children. Show them how to have fun, they will learn how to be stressed out way too soon anyway.