We have been baking a lot at the moment. We are pretty much baking something every single day. We all love baking so it is nice to have the time now to bake every day. Emma loves baking colourful food so these red velvet cupcakes were perfect!
This recipe uses red food coloring but I know some red velvet recipes use beetroot juice as well. The food coloring gel is best to use for this, the color comes out really red.
You can bake these yummy cupcakes for your reading tea party. They are also great for the days you need some comfort food!
Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 2.5 cups Cake Flour
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1.5 cups Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1 cup Oil
- 2 tbsp Red Food Coloring
- 2 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 tsp White Vinegar
- Sift the flour, bicarb and salt. Add the sugar.
- Combine eggs, buttermilk, oil, food coloring, essence and vinegar. Mix well.
- Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and mixw well.
- Spoon the mixture into cup cake cases in your pans.
- Bake at 180°C for 10-15 minutes