Is there one thing that you get for every occasion? For me it’s bath bombs! Both Lexi and I love luxuriating in a bath with a bath bomb. But let’s face it, they’re expensive and limited to special occasions only. They don’t have to be. We found a way to make fool-proof bath bombs! They’re inexpensive and have amazing health benefits.
Health Benefits of Bath Bombs
The three main ingredients in our bath bombs are bicarbonate of soda, epsom salts and citric acid. All three have fantastic health benefits, that combined make these bath bombs healthy AND fun.
Epsom salt is actually magnesium sulphate, a pure, time-tested mineral compound with dozens of uses. Magnesium is a clever little mineral that gets an A+ for all of its hard work, like assisting in muscle and nerve function, regulating blood sugar and blood pressure levels, and making protein, bone and DNA. And when you’re stressed, your magnesium levels can drop. A soak in a hot bath with a few scoops of Epsom salt can not only raise your magnesium levels, it can wash your stress away.
Citric acid not only reacts with the bicarbonate of soda to give you the fizz that you want, experts say that citric acid mixes with minerals and metals easily, facilitating their absorption in the body.
This makes these bath bombs a great sleep aid for kids!
Fool-Proof Bath Bombs Recipe
Homemade Bath Bombs
- 2 cups bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup citric acid
- 1 cup epsom salt
- 1½ cups cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- ¼ cup liquid oil (I used melted coconut oil)
- 6 tsp water
- 40 drops essential oils
- dried herbs (optional)
- Mix oil of choice and essential oils into bicarbonate of soda and stir well.
- Add other dry ingredients: epsom salt, citric acid, and cornstarch, and dried herbs, and mix well until combined.
- Add essential oils and spritz water on the mixture very slowly. I recommend using a spray bottle.
- Mix well with hands.
- Do this until mixture will just hold together when squeezed without crumbling. You may need to add slightly more or less water if it hasn’t achieved this consistency yet.
- Quickly push mixture into molds, greased muffin tins or any other greased container. Press in firmly and leave at least 24 hours (48 is better) or until hardened. It will expand some and this is normal. You can push it down into the mold several times while it is drying to keep it from expanding too much. Using the metal molds will create a stronger and more effective final bath bomb.
- When dry, remove and store in airtight container or bag. Use within 2 weeks.
Essential Oil Blends
Using essential oils can add to the sedative powers of these bath bombs. Our favourite blend is:
20 drops vanilla
20 drops lavender
10 drops Roman chamomile
10 drops sandalwood
Other essential oils that work well are: