Do your kids enjoy playing with neighbors? Ours do!
But I don’t enjoy the mess they make in the house and so I encourage them to play outside as much as possible. One of my favourite ways of getting the kids outdoors is with sidewalk chalk.
Easy DIY Sidewalk Chalk
- plaster of paris
- containers for mixing in
- popsicle sticks for stirring
- tempera paint
- wax paper
- duct tape
- toilet paper rolls
- Cut the toilet paper rolls open, resize the tube to the width you want your chalk to be, and tape shut again with duct tape.
- Tape the bottom of each tube closed well with duct tape.
- Place wax paper on baking trays or whatever dish you choose to work over.
- Mix 1 cup of plaster of paris with water according to the package instructions.
- Divide into separate containers and add tempera paint. The quantity will depend on high bright you want your chalk to be. We like to use more paint and make the chalk brighter.
- Working over your wax paper lined dish, pour the mixture into your tubes.
- Allow to sit for a few hours. Once the plaster has hardened peel the tube off and allow the chalk to dry out completely. Depending on the weather this can take a few days.
Not sure where to get plaster of paris?
Most art supply stores stock it. Alternatively you can buy it online at Takealot.
For more art ideas check out our art section!